Saturday 17 January 2015

Margaret Fletcher: Gallop Girl: A Fall From Grace at Forty Miles an Hour By Genevieve Dutil


Poise, class, confidence, fantastic thighs and an even better ass: these are the spoils of an equestrian lifestyle. And Margaret Fletcher has them all. 

But then suddenly, she doesn't. Broke and horseless for the first time in her pampered life, Margaret is lost in a sea of tangled hairnets until a cranky old horseman introduces her to the not-so-glamorous world of exercising young racehorses. Margaret knows she can jump a five foot fence with style. But can she gallop forty miles an hour on a two-year-old rocket launcher with sticky brakes? 
Enter Emily Morris, a working class eventer who’s spent her whole life eating the dust of rich girls like Margaret. Now, charged with the task of turning this clueless Hunter Princess into a fully-functional Gallop Girl, Emily will have to teach her the basics of horsemanship from the ground up ― mud, manure and all. Can a former Hunter Princess and a scrappy kid from the wrong side of the racetrack team up to conquer the “Sport of Kings?” -Goodreads
-
Hmm... I feel like I can't really decide if I want to rave about this book or point out its flaws. Because there are flaws. But in my mind it's also a 4 star book. Which is pretty good.

Okay let's start from the beginning. First of all, the book reads like an adult version of Enid Blyton. The chapter have titles like, 'Margaret get's her hair messed up' and 'Emily gets a spirit guide'. But that's really okay because I liked that the book had some sort of organisation that books seem to rarely have nowadays. I don't know if that made sense but basically I'm trying to say that I was okay with the Enid Blyton like chapter names.


Secondly, I really enjoyed this book. I could tell immediately that it was one of those books that would strongly resonate with a horse lover or rider. I've read books like that about figure skating and since I used to do it, it made me feel all warm and happy inside. Like I was part of some special club that could understand the funny words. That's how I felt this book would be to someone who was in that world. I'm not in that world obviously so it was a little strange. I didn't understand a lot of the words and google became my best friend with this book.


But that was okay with me because I ended up learning so much more then I ever would have known about horse riding and show horses if I hadn't read this book. So it was a win win here. And it's obvious that the author is passionate about horses. That's very important in a book like this.

The book was a lot less funny then it originally promised to be and often it seemed just a tab unrealistic. But it wasn't anything too bad. Though I must say that the author's insistence with saying that horses go at 40 miles an hour irked me. Certainly horses that are being galloped don't have speedometers on them. 

My favourite part of the book was when Emily finally stopped whining about her lack of money being the reason why she wasn't a fabulous rider and actually started to do something about it. She was starting to get on my nerves so I'm glad she salvaged herself. That was a rather good life lesson in there too which I liked.

Overall I really loved this book. I thought it was interesting, cute and passionate. Even if you aren't a rider, let me tell you that you will still love this book. And if you are a rider, what are you waiting for??

-
My Rating: 4/5 
*This book was given to me to review by the author*
Purchase the books at The Book Depositary using my special link Here

No comments:

Post a Comment