Tuesday 14 April 2015

Fangirl By Rainbow Rowell

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...

But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Now that they’re going to college,  Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind? - Goodreads
-
I've been wanting to read Fangirl every since I read and loved 'Eleanor & Park'. So basically forever. So, I finally decided to set some time out of the stacks of books I have to read and review to give myself this book treat. And let me tell you, it was worth every second I spent waiting and finally reading it.

When I was younger, I used to read and write fan fiction. Yep. I wrote one Twilight fic that I never finished, one Vampire Diaries story that was extremely fluffy. And finally I wrote a Titanic/Twilight crossover that I spent a year writing and that till today, is one of my absolute favourite things I've ever written. (Follow the links I've placed around this paragraph to read the respective stories).

So this book to me was extremely close to my heart. I could feel my inner fangirl/fan fic writer squealing with joy because this was my world. I felt so incredibly close to Cath. Cath is basically me. I was so excited to be finally reading a book with a character that I felt I could 100% relate to. I always read books with people with many friends and who go out to parties and things. It was so amazing to read a book that finally seemed to get me. The social anxiety, the strong desire to just be holed up quietly in my room, the lack of friends. The fear of going to the cafeteria because I'm alone. The fear of a relationship. Cath was me and I couldn't be more grateful to Rainbow Rowell for once again making me feel like there was someone out there who understood me. 

This book was simple because Rainbow Rowell writes simple but amazing stories. Nothing much exciting happens in the book. It basically just rolls Cath on a journey of self-discovery. But it was all about being part of a world that I felt was mine in every aspect. I felt so incredibly happy to be able to experience this book.

It just takes everything you've ever felt for the world and puts it out into writing so you don't feel alone anymore. That's really all I can say about it. I really recommend you read it and see for yourself what a marvellous piece of art Rainbow has once again produced.
-
My Rating: 5/5
Purchase the books at The Book Depositary using my special link Here

No comments:

Post a Comment