Thursday 7 May 2015

The Mara Dyer Trilogy By Michelle Hodkin


Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can. 
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. 
There is. -Goodreads
 -
I don't really know what made me decide to pick this book up. It isn't in my usual genre. I don't really do paranormal. There wasn't much to go on in terms of a blurb and pretty much everyone said that the book was creepy. I don't do creepy. So I don't know why but I just decided to dive in.

I finished all three books last month and I thought I would review them all together in one post instead of individually because I personally felt like it could have really just have been one big giant novel instead of three. The books flowed together really well. Each book just bled into the next. With every new novel, there wasn't any form of reintroduction of any of the characters. It was just continuous. So randomly she would bring in an obscure character from book 1 in book 3 and expect you to know who they are. But considering that I read the books (almost) in succession, I found that it was alright.

The writing itself was strong and it was easy to follow along. The book grips you and draws you in. She has a sort of addictive writing style that I love. It just made it harder to put down. Personally I felt that the first book was the best. The second book was alright but the third book just didn't do it for me which was disappointing. And if you're confused, writing style and storyline are two very different things. Both need to be excellent before you can get the perfect novel. I felt that Hodkin lacked a bit in the storyline aspect. It was an interesting premise but it was quite unbelievable. 

Throughout the book, you get loads and loads of unanswered questions. You find yourself desperately wanting to know the answers only to find that the book has ended without any resolution. It was very frustrating in my opinion. Especially in the third book, after you've invested so much time into the trilogy, you would expect an epic conclusion. However what you get is a confusing ending that doesn't exactly make the most sense. I personally just wanted more with the ending. I can't tell you what I was looking for exactly but I wanted more. I wanted to know how the villains in the book were able to do what they did without being supernatural. I wanted to know how the police didn't get involved at all. I still have questions and it annoys me that they went unanswered.

I think Hodkins just got a bit too excited with making the book different and as creepy as she possibly could and simply forgot that not everything she included could have simply been explained away by her weak conclusion.

Final bit of advice I would give you before going into the book, I found the book to be quite creepy. It started to get to the point of almost horror in book two especially. I found myself being afraid of mirrors at night and little things. So I suppose if you're into creepy horror kinds of stories, you might really enjoy this one. I personally didn't enjoy the horror aspect of this trilogy. If you scare easily, this might not be it for you. There's a bit of gore, a bit of horror and a hell load of creepy in this one.

As always, I'll leave you to decide after all that if you still want to pick up this series. It is a good. It really is. It's just that it leaves you wanting more even after the final book.
-
My Rating: 3/5 Stars

Purchase the books at The Book Depositary using my special link Here

No comments:

Post a Comment